Makhanas are also known as Lotus seed, Fox nut or Gorgon nut or Euryale Ferox and have been used from long time in religious rituals and also in many kitchens in India. These Lotus seeds have high nutritional value and they taste yum!
Benefits of Makhanas:
- It is an antioxidant
- It possess free radical scavenging activity
- It is anti-inflammatory
- It also has immuno-modulatory activities.
- It is valued for its nutritional and healing properties.
- These Lotus seeds have an anti-aging enzyme.
- It acts as an astringent.
- It helps to restore vital energy within the body.
- It helps in Cardiac diseases and in diabetes.
- It is suitable for arthritis and impotence.
- Lotus seeds detoxify the spleen, reinforce the kidneys and nourish the blood.
- Consumption of Makhanas during pregnancy and post natal weaknesses is recommended.
Health And Nutritional Value:
- These seeds are low in saturated fats, sodium and cholesterol and are high in magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, phyto-nutrients and phosphorus.
- It has high fiber content. Hence, it is effective in constipation.
- They help the body to remove the toxins and thus prevent the accumulation of the same.
- Makhanas contain kaempferol which is a natural flavonoid which prevents inflammation and aging. It is a coffee substitute.
- 100 gm makhana contains 350kcal, 9.7gm easily digestible protein, 77gm carbohydrate, 12.8gm moisture, 0.1gm fat, 90mg phosphorus and 1.4mg iron.
How to Consume Makhanas:
Makhanas can be eaten raw, cooked, ground, roasted or fried. It is extensively used in the form of paste in many Chinese pastries and in Japanese desserts. These Lotus seeds can be puffed and sprinkled with spices. Variety of healthy and good food can be made out of it. Makhana Kheer and raita, & vegetable curries can be tried. These Lotus seeds are basically used as thickening agents in curries. It makes the curries rich and healthy.
Makhana Kheer Recipe:
|Makhanas (Powdered)||20 gm|
|Clarified butter||1 tsp|
|Sugar||As per requirement|
|Green cardamom powder||A Pinch|
|Cashew nuts||For plating|
- Heat clarified butter in a non-stick pan and sauté the makhanas and cashew nuts lightly.
- In another pan, pour the milk and let it come to a boil. Add sugar, green cardamom powder and Makhanas (Powdered).
- Mix sautéed Makhanas and milk once the milk coosl down to room temperature.
- Decorate it with sautéed cashewnuts.
- Serve chilled.
Seasoned Puffed Lotus Seeds Recipe:
|Lotus Seeds||2 cups|
|Clarified butter||3 tsp|
|Black pepper||¼ tsp|
|Salt||As per requirement|
|Red chili powder||As per requirement|
- Heat clarified butter in a non-stick pan.
- Saute the Lotus seeds on low flame for 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Turn off the gas and add all the spices and salt.
- Store roasted Lotus seeds in an air-tight container.
After knowing all facts and figures about Makhanas, don’t keep your hands off these seeds. Eat healthy, stay healthy!