Yes, you read that right!
Many call him the son of a bus driver and is popularly known by his name ‘Sadiq Khan’ is a British Labour Party politician and the Mayor-elect for London since may 2016. While there is already much other news information about this man and his humble approach to politics which brought the ambience of “Hope over Fear” in London , Stylewhack takes the privilege to let you know more about him:
- He was born to a working class British Pakistani family, he grew up in the 1970’s on the council estate in south London.
- His dad was a bus driver.
- He started out as a human rights lawyer.
- He was a Labour Councillor in Tory held Wandsworth for 12 years.
- He entered Parliament in the year 2005 after defeating five other local candidates in the general elections.
- Following the Prime Minister Gordon Brown’s cabinet reshuffle, Khan was appointed Minister of State for communities becoming the second Muslim to serve in Her majesty’s Government.
- In 2009, he became the first Muslim to attend cabinet on his appointment as Minister of State for Transport.
- In March 2010, Khan publicly announced that he would not be taking a pay rise as a Minister. Declaring “At a time when many people in Tooting and throughout the country are having to accept pay freezes I don’t think it’s appropriate for MPs to accept a pay rise.”
- Apart from politics, Khan considers himself a sports enthusiast. He follows sports like football, cricket and boxing.
- In 2014, he ran for London Marathon and raised £20,000 for the Evening Standard’s Dispossessed Fund.
May this man turn the criticism wrong and brings more peace to the world because Muslims are actually not bad!