Hey gals, here is our product review for the best blow dryer for black hair in 2020. Delve in to know more about our top 10 picks and their features.
Do you proudly own naturally black hair? Most people envy you for that. Why not? But you also know it isn’t easy to maintain and dry black hair. Afro hair are generally thick, voluminous and have a coarse texture. This may increase the drying time and may lead to hair damage.
So what’s the solution? The secret lies in finding the best blow dryer for black hair.
Heat damage during the drying and hairstyling process is a major concern for many women with black hair. Using the wrong kind of blow dryer can damage your tresses beyond repair. We have rounded up the best blow dryers for black hair currently available in the market.
- 10 Best Blow Dryers For Black Hair
- 1. RUSK Engineering Super Freak Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
- 2. Berta Professional Hair Dryer
- 3. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer For Black Hair
- 4. BaByliss Pro BAB2000 Ceramix Xtreme
- 5. InStyler TURBO Ionic Blow Dryer
- 6. Conair Ionic Ceramic Hairdryer
- 7. Elchim Classic 2001 Hair Dryer
- 8. BabylissPRO BAB NT5548 Nano Titanium Dryer
- 9. RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
- 10. T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Keep reading to find out more.
10 Best Blow Dryers For Black Hair
1. RUSK Engineering Super Freak Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
Speaking of hair dryers we must include RUSK Super Freak in our list of best blow dryer for black hair. This product tops the list in many review articles and is a must-have appliance in all homes. We know name is not all that matters, but we bet your love the performance of this amazing 2000W hair dryer.
This blow dryer is known for its powerful capacity and offers plenty of control. The dryer unit has seven heat and speed settings. Even a low-heat setting gets hot enough to dry your hair perfectly. If you have tight coils for your natural black hair you might have to set the heat setting to maximum. The dryer utilizes infrared beam, tourmaline and ceramic technology to minimize hair damage due to drying.
- Durable and reliable
- Seven heat adjustment settings
- Infrared heat minimized hair damage
- Reduces frizz
- Ergonomic product design for easy handling
- Bit heavy
2. Berta Professional Hair Dryer
The first thing you’ll notice in this product is their advertisement. The main title states an AC setting (powerful AC driven motor). After research, we found that the hair dryer comes with two speed settings and three heat settings, including a cool shot button. Isn’t this amazing? The company boasts the use of negative ionic technology and infrared heat that results in less static, frizz-free, and softer hair.
The product is featured with a single concentrator nozzle, perfect for blowing out your kinky curls. People who have used this dryer are raving about its quality and aesthetics. It comes with one-year replacement and two-year warranty.
- Infrared and ionic technology
- Slim and easy to hold body
- Quick-drying time
- Comes with multiple heat settings
- Makes low noise
- Suitable for all hair types
- Priced expensive
3. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer For Black Hair
Naturally black hair are curly with thicker strands. This requires a power-packed blow dryer to dry your hair which increased the weight of the product. However, Drybar has proved this wrong. Their expert team has come up with a lightweight blow dryer design which includes an ergonomic handle. The yellow-black color of this model gives it an attractive modern look.
It uses ionic technology that blows billions of negative ions into the strands to seal the cuticle and minimize frizz during the drying process. It comes with a three heat (including cool shot button) and two speed settings to your advantage. The dryer has two concentrated nozzles; the wide one is suitable for extremely thick hair.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Comes with multiple heat settings
- Negative ionic technology
- Wide concentrated nozzle for drying very thick curls
- High in price, but high quality and performance justify it.
4. BaByliss Pro BAB2000 Ceramix Xtreme
The Ceramix Xtreme from BaByliss is best hair dryer for African American natural hair. It is a professional-grade hair dryer that you can use in the comfort of your home. The ceramic technology provides powerful infrared waves to let you dry hair faster. Quicker drying time means lesser hair damaging effects. Bonus!
The dryer comes with a strong long-lasting motor that offers 6 speed and heat settings. It also has a narrow and long barrel that provides maximum air pressure for faster drying. You get an added micro-concentrated nozzle for frizz-free hairstyling. The removable filter helps to easily clean the dryer.
- Ceramic technology for quicker and healthier drying
- Ergonomic handle design allows for a firmer and comfortable grip
- Multiple speeds and heat intensities
- Cool shot feature for locking your hairstyle
- Durable and powerful AC motor
- Tad heavier
- Rubberized handle coating wears away quickly
5. InStyler TURBO Ionic Blow Dryer
Next on our list of the best blow dryer for black hair is the InStyler TURBO Ionic blow dryer. To start with, it has an eye-catching design that wins all hearts. It has an ergonomic shape that makes it easy to hold. The hair dryer comes with a while body with blue detailing and clear nozzle accessories. This product features both a diffuser and a concentrator.
It uses powerful turbo ionic technology to dry hair with minimum damaging effects. It includes two heat settings, high power motor, high compression turbine fan, infinity airflow dial, and turbo ionic switch.
- Ultra-light design with attractive looks
- Powerful turbo drying ionic technology
- Best for curly hair
- Faster drying rate
- Comes with multiple accessories
- No cool shot feature
- Very expensive but worth its professional excellence
6. Conair Ionic Ceramic Hairdryer
This Conair blow dryer for natural black hair is a budget-friendly choice for all. It works great for all hair types – straight to curly. Conair ceramic dryer uses tourmaline and ceramic technology to direct negative ionic energy to dry hair without damaging the strands. The dried hair is now static and frizz-free. It comes with a style locking cool shot button, two speed settings and three heat settings to your advantage.
It has an 1875 watt motor that makes it an ideal choice for individuals with damaged hair, or thin hair because it ensures not to over-dry your hair. The dryer is lightweight and the ceramic plates conduct heat very well. It comes with a concentrator and diffuser nozzle to dry hair without ruining the texture of your hair.
- Ionic tourmaline ceramic technology gives you shiny manageable hair
- High torque DC motor increases air velocity to dry hair faster
- Multiple settings with cool shot feature
- Filter is hinged for easy removal and cleaning
- Comes with both a concentrator and diffuser nozzle
- Not suitable for thicker and harder to dry hair
- Plastic coating of the blow dryer begins to flake after using for a few months
7. Elchim Classic 2001 Hair Dryer
This is a classic blow dryer daunts to be the best blow dryer for black hair. It is one of the high wattage hair dryer currently on our list. It has a design that defines high-end AC motor to create a perfect balance between high-pressure airflow and heat settings. The dryer comes with a concentrator nozzle designed for drying and styling your hair.
People who use this product compliment about its quick-drying efficiency and minimal heat damage during the process. It is equipped with three colored filters and a beauty bag.
- Durable and long-lasting product
- Ultra-light, powerful and ergonomic dryer
- Allure Magazine’s Best in Beauty 2013 and In Style Magazine Best in Class, May 2014 award winner
- Adds professional finish to your hair and makes them manageable
- Fairly expensive model but lasts longer than the cheaper models
8. BabylissPRO BAB NT5548 Nano Titanium Dryer
This is another classy product from BaByliss. It is well known for its styling tools and hair care product range. The BAB NT5548 blow dryer model uses Nano Titanium technology, a combination that allows for an excellent heat conductivity and quicker drying without damaging the locks. While looking for the best blow dryer for natural black hair, you must consider wattage. We recommend going with this 2000W motor driven product for extremely curly hair.
The BAB NT5548 is one of the best products for African American hair having 6 speed and heat settings. It also includes the cool shot feature to smoothen the hair cuticles, giving them a silky soft look. The light weight and ergonomic handle design offers a comfortable experience while drying and straightening your tresses.
- Heat waves are mild and gentle on the hair
- Far-infrared heat technology dries from within the hair shaft
- Travel-friendly hair dryer
- Works well for long and voluminous black hair
- Comes with a removable filter and concentrator nozzle
- Compatible with hotel and home voltages
- Dryer cord isn’t long enough
- Mild heat waves are not strong enough for some hair types
- Dryer is a bit big in size (though lightweight)
9. RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
The Rusk W8less Professional hair dryer is lightweight yet very powerful. It has a high power (2000 Watt) driven motor for all of your hair styling requirements. It has a comfortable design making it easy to use for over an extended period of time.
The blow dryer emits far-infrared heat and uses tourmaline ceramic technology that dries hair inside out without damaging it. The negative ionic technique allows for quicker drying time. Your hair becomes less static and frizz-free. It comes with concentrator nozzle and multiple heat adjustment knobs to style your hair.
- Removable rear filter for easy cleaning
- 8-foot cord for better range of movement
- Low noise hair dryer
- Emits far-infrared heating
- Ideal for all hair lengths, styles and textures, especially coarse and thick black hair
- Gets overheated
- Concentrator nozzle loosens and detaches when in use
10. T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer
Last but not the least; we feature the T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer on our list of best blow dryer for black hair. This dryer has everything you’ll possibly dream of to maintain healthy, silky smooth and manageable Afro curls. T3 revolutionalizes its hairstyling products with innovative technology and high-quality tools to create shiny, healthy strands.
It is a compact foldable hair dryer with an ultra-light body and a dual voltage speed-styling feature. The mini dryer is infused with T3 SoftAire technology that emits an expansive volume of ion-enriched air to quickly dry voluminous sections of hair. Negative ions lock in the moisture in the cuticles and restore shine and vigor to the hair.
- T3 SoftAire technology
- Ultra-light, compact frame with foldable handle
- Travel-friendly blow dryer
- 2 speed/heat settings with a cool shot button for styling your hair
- 9-foot cord for better range of movement
- Includes a storage bag
- Dual voltage (125/250 Volts) feature with 1200 W motor
- Low power motor, not suitable for hair hard to be tamed
- Pricey hairstyling product
All these are the best blow dryers for black hair. Which one would you pick?
Frequently Asked Questions
Follow these four steps to straighten your black hair with a blow dryer. Smoothen and detangle hair to complete your look.
• Step 1: Wash and condition your hair
• Step 2: Apply a heat protectant
• Step 3: Separate your strands into sections
• Step 4: Blow-dry and style hair with a concentrator nozzle
Using a ceramic hair dryer with tourmaline technology and negative ions is the safest to use. This helps to target water droplets and dries hair rapidly without damaging it.
A hooded dryer takes longer to dry natural hair but the results are effective and less damaging. You must apply heat protection spray before you sit under any hooded dryer.
The quality of hair dryer and the technology it uses matters when you select one for use. A worthwhile tool with ceramic technology generates gentle heat with non-significant hair damaging issues. Look out for dryers that spew out negative ions as they quickly dry your hair making your then smooth and shiny. The two pillars of a good blow dryer are heat and control.