Hey gals, here is our product review for the best blow dryer for black hair in 2020. Delve in to know more about our top 10 picks and their features.
Do you proudly own naturally black hair? Most people envy you for that. Why not? But you also know it isn’t easy to maintain and dry black hair. Afro hair is generally thick, voluminous, and has a coarse texture. This may increase the drying time and may lead to hair damage.
So what’s the solution? The secret lies in finding the best blow dryer for black hair.
Heat damage during the drying and hairstyling process is a major concern for many women with black hair. Using the wrong kind of blow dryer can damage your tresses beyond repair. We have rounded up the best blow dryers for black hair currently available in the market.
- Top Rated Blow Dryer for Natural black Hair Comparison Table
- Best Blow Dryers For Black Hair 2020
- 1. RUSK Engineering Super Freak Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
- 2. Berta Professional Hair Dryer
- 3. Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer For Black Hair
- 4. BaByliss Pro BAB2000 Ceramix Xtreme
- 5. InStyler TURBO Ionic Blow Dryer
- 6. Conair Ionic Ceramic Hairdryer
- 7. Elchim Classic 2001 Hair Dryer
- 8. BabylissPRO BAB NT5548 Nano Titanium Dryer
- 9. RUSK Engineering W8less Professional 2000 Watt Dryer
- 10. T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer
- What Type Of Blow Dryer Should Women With Black Hair Use?
- Buying Guide For Best Blow Dryer For Black Hair
- How To Use Blow Dryer To Avoid Breakage?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How do you straighten black hair with a blow dryer?
- Which hair dryer is the least damaging?
- Is a hooded dryer bad for natural hair?
- Does it matter what kind of hair dryer you use?
Top Rated Blow Dryer for Natural black Hair Comparison Table
|Editor’s Choice||Editor’s Choice||RUSK Engineering Super Freak Professional||Check On Amazon|
|Best Budget||Best Budget||Professional Ionic Salon Hair Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|Drybar Buttercup Blow Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|BaBylissPRO BAB2000 Ceramix Xtreme Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|InStyler TURBO Ionic Blow Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|Amazon’s Choice||Amazon’s Choice||Conair Ionic Ceramic Hairdryer||Check On Amazon|
|Editor’s Choice||Editor’s Choice||Elchim Classic 2001 Hair Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|Amazon’s choice||Amazon’s choice||BaBylissPRO BABNT5548 Nano Titanium Hair Dryer||Check On Amazon|
|AMAZON’S CHOICE||AMAZON’S CHOICE||RUSK Engineering W8less Professional||Check On Amazon|
|T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer||Check On Amazon|
Keep reading to find out more.
Best Blow Dryers For Black Hair 2020
Well, now without wasting any further time, let’s jump on to our top 10 best Blow dryers for black natural hair list.
Speaking of hair dryers we must include RUSK Super Freak in our list of best blow dryer for black hair. This product tops the list in many review articles and is a must-have appliance in all homes. We know the name is not all that matters, but we bet your love the performance of this amazing 2000W hairdryer.
This blow dryer is known for its powerful capacity and offers plenty of control. The dryer unit has seven heat and speed settings. Even a low-heat setting gets hot enough to dry your hair perfectly. If you have tight coils for your natural black hair you might have to set the heat setting to maximum. The dryer utilizes infrared beam, tourmaline and ceramic technology to minimize hair damage due to drying.
- Durable and reliable
- Seven heat adjustment settings
- Infrared heat minimized hair damage
- Reduces frizz
- Ergonomic product design for easy handling
- Bit heavy
The first thing you’ll notice in this product is their advertisement. The main title states an AC setting (powerful AC driven motor). After research, we found that the hairdryer comes with two-speed settings and three heat settings, including a cool shot button. Isn’t this amazing? The company boasts the use of negative ionic technology and infrared heat that results in less static, frizz-free, and softer hair.
The product is featured with a single concentrator nozzle, perfect for blowing out your kinky curls. People who have used this dryer are raving about its quality and aesthetics. It comes with a one-year replacement and a two-year warranty.
- Infrared and ionic technology
- Slim and easy to hold body
- Quick-drying time
- Comes with multiple heat settings
- Makes low noise
- Suitable for all hair types
- Priced expensive
Naturally, black hair is curly with thicker strands. This requires a power-packed blow dryer to dry your hair which increased the weight of the product. However, Drybar has proved this wrong. Their expert team has come up with a lightweight blow dryer design which includes an ergonomic handle. The yellow-black color of this model gives it an attractive modern look.
It uses ionic technology that blows billions of negative ions into the strands to seal the cuticle and minimize frizz during the drying process. It comes with three heat (including cool shot button) and two-speed settings to your advantage. The dryer has two concentrated nozzles; the wide one is suitable for extremely thick hair.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Comes with multiple heat settings
- Negative ionic technology
- Wide concentrated nozzle for drying very thick curls
- High in price, but high quality and performance justify it.
The Ceramix Xtreme from BaByliss is best hair dryer for African American natural hair. It is a professional-grade hair dryer that you can use in the comfort of your home. The ceramic technology provides powerful infrared waves to let you dry hair faster. Quicker drying time means lesser hair damaging effects. Bonus!
The dryer comes with a strong long-lasting motor that offers 6 speed and heat settings. It also has a narrow and long barrel that provides maximum air pressure for faster drying. You get an added micro-concentrated nozzle for frizz-free hairstyling. The removable filter helps to easily clean the dryer.
- Ceramic technology for quicker and healthier drying
- Ergonomic handle design allows for a firmer and comfortable grip
- Multiple speeds and heat intensities
- Cool shot feature for locking your hairstyle
- Durable and powerful AC motor
- Tad heavier
- Rubberized handle coating wears away quickly
Next on our list of the best blow dryer for black hair is the InStyler TURBO Ionic blow dryer. To start with, it has an eye-catching design that wins all hearts. It has an ergonomic shape that makes it easy to hold. The hair dryer comes with a white body with blue detailing and clear nozzle accessories. This product features both a diffuser and a concentrator.
It uses powerful turbo ionic technology to dry hair with minimum damaging effects. It includes two heat settings, high power motor, high compression turbine fan, infinity airflow dial, and turbo ionic switch.
- Ultra-light design with attractive looks
- Powerful turbo drying ionic technology
- Best for curly hair
- Faster drying rate
- Comes with multiple accessories
- No cool shot feature
- Very expensive but worth its professional excellence
This Conair blow dryer for natural black hair is a budget-friendly choice for all. It works great for all hair types – straight to curly. Conair ceramic dryer uses tourmaline and ceramic technology to direct negative ionic energy to dry hair without damaging the strands. The dried hair is now static and frizz-free. It comes with a style locking cool shot button, two speed settings and three heat settings to your advantage.
It has an 1875 watt motor that makes it an ideal choice for individuals with damaged hair, or thin hair because it ensures not to over-dry your hair. The dryer is lightweight and the ceramic plates conduct heat very well. It comes with a concentrator and diffuser nozzle to dry hair without ruining the texture of your hair.
- Ionic tourmaline ceramic technology gives you shiny manageable hair
- High torque DC motor increases air velocity to dry hair faster
- Multiple settings with cool shot feature
- Filter is hinged for easy removal and cleaning
- Comes with both a concentrator and diffuser nozzle
- Not suitable for thicker and harder to dry hair
- Plastic coating of the blow dryer begins to flake after using for a few months
This is a classic blow dryer daunts to be the best blow dryer for black hair. It is one of the high wattage hair dryer currently on our list. It has a design that defines high-end AC motor to create a perfect balance between high-pressure airflow and heat settings. The dryer comes with a concentrator nozzle designed for drying and styling your hair.
People who use this product compliment about its quick-drying efficiency and minimal heat damage during the process. It is equipped with three colored filters and a beauty bag.
- Durable and long-lasting product
- Ultra-light, powerful and ergonomic dryer
- Allure Magazine’s Best in Beauty 2013 and In Style Magazine Best in Class, May 2014 award winner
- Adds professional finish to your hair and makes them manageable
- Fairly expensive model but lasts longer than the cheaper models
This is another classy product from BaByliss. It is well known for its styling tools and hair care product range. The BAB NT5548 blow dryer model uses Nano Titanium technology, a combination that allows for an excellent heat conductivity and quicker drying without damaging the locks. While looking for the best blow dryer for natural black hair, you must consider wattage. We recommend going with this 2000W motor driven product for extremely curly hair.
The BAB NT5548 is one of the best products for African American hair having 6 speed and heat settings. It also includes the cool shot feature to smoothen the hair cuticles, giving them a silky soft look. The light weight and ergonomic handle design offers a comfortable experience while drying and straightening your tresses.
- Heatwaves are mild and gentle on the hair
- Far-infrared heat technology dries from within the hair shaft
- Travel-friendly hairdryer
- Works well for long and voluminous black hair
- Comes with a removable filter and concentrator nozzle
- Compatible with hotel and home voltages
- Dryer cord isn’t long enough
- Mild heat waves are not strong enough for some hair types
- Dryer is a bit big in size (though lightweight)
The Rusk W8less Professional hair dryer is lightweight yet very powerful. It has a high power (2000 Watt) driven motor for all of your hair styling requirements. It has a comfortable design making it easy to use for over an extended period of time.
The blow dryer emits far-infrared heat and uses tourmaline ceramic technology that dries hair inside out without damaging it. The negative ionic technique allows for quicker drying time. Your hair becomes less static and frizz-free. It comes with concentrator nozzle and multiple heat adjustment knobs to style your hair.
- Removable rear filter for easy cleaning
- 8-foot cord for better range of movement
- Low noise hair dryer
- Emits far-infrared heating
- Ideal for all hair lengths, styles and textures, especially coarse and thick black hair
- Gets overheated
- Concentrator nozzle loosens and detaches when in use
Last but not the least; we feature the T3 – Featherweight Compact Folding Hair Dryer on our list of best blow dryer for black hair. This dryer has everything you’ll possibly dream of to maintain healthy, silky smooth and manageable Afro curls. T3 revolutionalizes its hairstyling products with innovative technology and high-quality tools to create shiny, healthy strands.
It is a compact foldable hair dryer with an ultra-light body and a dual voltage speed-styling feature. The mini dryer is infused with T3 SoftAire technology that emits an expansive volume of ion-enriched air to quickly dry voluminous sections of hair. Negative ions lock in the moisture in the cuticles and restore shine and vigor to the hair.
- T3 SoftAire technology
- Ultra-light, compact frame with foldable handle
- Travel-friendly blow dryer
- 2 speed/heat settings with a cool shot button for styling your hair
- 9-foot cord for better range of movement
- Includes a storage bag
- Dual voltage (125/250 Volts) feature with 1200 W motor
- Low power motor, not suitable for hair hard to be tamed
- Pricey hairstyling product
What Type Of Blow Dryer Should Women With Black Hair Use?
Maintaining healthy and manageable hair is the top priority of women with naturally curly and black hair. Most of the women use blow-drying as a preparation tool for flat ironing. Some women also blow-dry to keep hair frizz-free and voluminous. Bearing this in mind you need a specific type of blow dryer and not just any product from the shelves.
If you have bought a dryer with a simple ON/OFF button, you should return it right away. The problem with such type of appliances is that they don’t provide temperature control. You don’t know how much heat is being applied and will it have damaging effects on your hair. If it gets too hot it will burn your hair, conversely, it might not have the same blow-dried effect.
Blow-dryers are made from different materials and techniques that they use is crucial to the type of hair you possess. Women with dry and damaged hair should opt for tourmaline technology in her dryer. They shoot negative ions that help to lock moisture in the strands and make them healthier at the same time as drying.
A blow dryer for black hair should come with multiple accessories. For example, a flat nozzle in addition to the standard circular nozzle will be a bonus!
Buying Guide For Best Blow Dryer For Black Hair
There are various features you should be looking for before purchasing a new blow dryer for natural black hair. Here are 6 key features you should tick before you buy a blow dryer:
Blow dryers use ionic or parallel technology to dry hair. Both work on the same principles and dry hair without damaging the strands. They release negative ions to balance out the positive ions. This process breaks down water into smaller particles and quickly dry the air. These technologies work to seal the moisture in the hair shafts’, protect the strands, and preserve natural oils in the hair. This results in shiny and healthy-looking hair.
High wattage gives more power to the dryer. It provides a better balance of heat and air during the drying process. This decreases the drying time and your hair is less exposed to heat and stress than necessary.
So, what’s the thumb rule?
Look for blow dryers that have 1800 or higher wattage. Low wattage dryer gives lesser airspeed and takes longer to dry hair. This increases heat exposure and you may end up with damaged tresses.
Multiple Speed & Heat Settings
Having multiple heat and speed settings in your dryer is a bonus. Whether your hair is natural or relaxed, and coarse or fine you need to adjust the dryer settings to suit your hair type. Higher temperature settings are better off with coarse and thick hair. Conversely, lower heat settings work best for more fragile, damaged, or relaxed hair. Speed settings come handy when you want to play around with your hair than just drying them. Low-speed settings give you considerable time and a reasonable amount of heat for hairstyling. Higher speed settings suffice when drying hair is your objective.
This is an advanced feature that beauticians look for while buying a blow dryer. Nowadays, most women prefer styling hair on the go. This cool shot feature comes in handy here. The cool shot button gives a blast of controlled cool air throughout the hairstyling process. This straightens your curly hair and makes it suitable for styling as the locks begin to cool down. It seals water in the cuticles and gives your hair a shinier appeal. Use the cool shot button when your hair is about 85% dry. This will also help you prevent over-drying your locks.
Porcelain or Ceramic
Ceramic or porcelain components in a hair dryer are essential for natural black hair. Ceramic is used as a heating element or coats the internal parts of the dryer. The clay creates far-infrared heat that’s gentle on the hair. The frequency is of the wavelengths emitted to penetrate the hair deeply and dry the hair. The result is less damaged, frizz-free, and shinier hair.
This feature is not too crucial, but it will be a great addition to your hairstyling kit. A concentrator nozzle or diffuser can be used for different hair types. Some dryers come with both, bonus! A diffuser evenly distributes heat without disturbing the texture of hair. This is ideal to tame kinky curls. However, the concentrator nozzle shoots the direct steam of hair and straightens the hair. This is perfect for relaxed or thin hair.
How To Use Blow Dryer To Avoid Breakage?
Black hair needs extra care to maintain the curls while blow-drying and hairstyling. This guideline will help to dry hair quickly and maintain healthy-looking hair.
- Washing and Conditioning: Clean and condition your hair before you blow-dry them. This will protect hair from moisture loss and damage. Use a deep conditioner for your hair to get the locks ready for easy styling.
- Combing Out: Gently detangle your wet hair because they are more susceptible to breakage. Start with your fingers and later use a wide-toothed comb from the ends working up to the roots. This will help hair from uprooting.
- Drying: Use a microfiber towel to dry hair after washing. They absorb more water and cause less friction and less frizz. Wrap the towel and leave hair until they are 50% dry.
- Heat Protection: Some form of heat protection oil or spray will seal the moisture in the cuticles before you blow-dry. You may use coconut oil (a natural boon for hair) or grapeseed oil for this purpose.
- Blow Drying: Adjust the heat settings low to medium when drying. This will guard your tresses against heat damage. Direct the blow dryer nozzle in such a way that the airflow is in the same direction as that of your cuticles (from roots to tips). This gives your hair a smoother texture.
- Blow Hot and Cold: Using the cool shot feature on your dryer towards the end of the procedure will help set your cuticles in style. It also increases the luster and gives you frizz-free locks.
- Accessories: Use your diffuser and concentrator nozzle wisely. If you want a naturally curly texture diffuser attachment is ideal. For straightening your hair use the concentrator nozzle and comb.
Customers using these blow dryers for black hair report astounding results, leaving their hair smooth, frizz-free, manageable, and light. Having the right appliances can make a huge difference in the way you care for your hair. So, all you must do is blow out and head on the streets with glamour and confidence.
Say no to flat irons now!
All these are the best blow dryers for black hair. Which one would you pick?
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you straighten black hair with a blow dryer?
Follow these four steps to straighten your black hair with a blow dryer. Smoothen and detangle hair to complete your look.
• Step 1: Wash and condition your hair
• Step 2: Apply a heat protectant
• Step 3: Separate your strands into sections
• Step 4: Blow-dry and style hair with a concentrator nozzle
Which hair dryer is the least damaging?
Using a ceramic hair dryer with tourmaline technology and negative ions is the safest to use. This helps to target water droplets and dries hair rapidly without damaging it.
Is a hooded dryer bad for natural hair?
A hooded dryer takes longer to dry natural hair but the results are effective and less damaging. You must apply heat protection spray before you sit under any hooded dryer.
Does it matter what kind of hair dryer you use?
The quality of hair dryer and the technology it uses matters when you select one for use. A worthwhile tool with ceramic technology generates gentle heat with non-significant hair damaging issues. Look out for dryers that spew out negative ions as they quickly dry your hair making your then smooth and shiny. The two pillars of a good blow dryer are heat and control.
Backed up with a B.Pharm degree and an MBA, She is been a path-breaker. From being an HR person to a medical writer, she did a complete 360 degree turn to become the Founder and Editor-in-chief of Stylewhack. Since then, there has been no looking back for her. Watch her column for trendy fashion tips and various other creative ideas. She loves to travel and explore the world to quench her wanderlust!