The ongoing Cannes Film Festival has brought forth a dazzling array of ballroom-ish gowns and microfiber tuxedos, crafted by the world’s best designers. A pregnant Blake Lively wowed the crowd by showing up in a long-trained gown in a beautiful shade of blue, and George Clooney was dapper as ever in a classic black tux and his salt-and-pepper look. Singer Cheryl Cole radiated beauty in her vividly-printed pink gown, while models Bella Hadid and Kendall Jenner made appearances in outlandish outfits.
Not missing out our very own Indian celebrities, Sonam Kapoor, Mallika Sherawat and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan showed up on the red carpet in flowing embellished gowns. Those of you fashionistas and fiercely patriotic Indians who are wondering why our ladies wore ‘Western’ outfits, calm yourselves! The favourite Indian saree did not go unworn!
Sonam Kapoor, as seen on her Instagram account, has a black and blue take on the classic outfit, set for her first appearance at the amfAR Gala. Aishwarya Rai Bachhan showed up in a floor length, embellished, golden-brown bandhgala jacket on her fourth appearance at the film festival.
Here are a few of the traditional looks rocked by our leading ladies on the red carpet of the French Riviera:
1. Richa Chadda in a Floral Saree, Cannes 2015
2. Vidya Balan in a Tussar Silk, Cannes 2013
3. Deepika Padukone in a White and Gold Saree, Cannes 2010
4. Nandita Das in shades of Purple and Green, Cannes 2013
5. Nimrat Kaur dressed in Black and Gold, Cannes 2013
6. Sonam Kapoor in a Gold Embellished Saree, Cannes 2013
7. Aishwarya Rai Bachhan at her very appearance, Cannes 2002
Cheers to these beautiful ladies, who proudly wore our tradition on the red carpet of the most popular film festival!