Last Updated on
Cutting back on carbs doesn’t mean you have to eat boring or bland food or give up something you love or crave. There’s so much more to dinner ideas than pasta! This stuffed peppers recipe is packed with wonderful flavours and is super healthy too!
So go ahead and indulge in these good carbs only!
Ingredients for Stuffed Peppers:
- Cauliflower – 1 Head (Grated)
- Olive oil – 1 Tbs
- Garlic – 2 Cloves (Minced)
- Red Onion – 1 Cup (Finely Chopped)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper – To Taste (About 1 Tsp, add more if required)
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil – ½ Tbs (To grease the peppers)
- Red, Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers – 4 Large (Halved, seeds removed)
- Black Beans – 1 Can (15-ounce/425 g) ( Rinsed and drained)
- Salsa – 2/3 cup
- Cumin Powder – 2 Tsp
- Red Chili powder – 2 Tsp
- Cheddar Cheese – 1 ½ Cups
- Coriander/ Cilantro – To Garnish
- Lime/ Lemon Juice – 2-3 Tbsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Brush or smear halved peppers with Olive or vegetable oil. Arrange them on a 9×13-inch baking dish or rimmed baking sheet. Set aside
- Wash and dry cauliflower, remove all greens and cut into even sections (About 4-5 sections).
- Use a food processor or a grater to pulse/grate the cauliflower into the size of a rice grain.
- Heat oil in a skillet; add garlic, onion and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Then add the grated cauliflower and stir well. Place a lid to steam the cauliflower rice for about 1 minute, then remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl. Don’t cook it completely. It will continue cooking in the oven.
- Add black beans and salsa to the cauliflower rice and mix well. Add cumin, red chilli powder, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Stuff halved peppers with the mixture until all peppers are full then cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered, then remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until peppers are soft and slightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle some cheese over the peppers and bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts completely.
Serve hot with a dash of lime/lemon juice and cilantro!
Sometimes all you need is to get a little creative with your typical dinner preparations. The best way to do it is by replacing the bad carb-heavy pizza crust with good carbs like roasted eggplant or cauliflower.
Give this recipe a try and you’ll want to add this recipe to your dinner rotation immediately!